Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Present Moment: America's Most Precious Resource

I officiated my first wedding this past Saturday night. The couple, Deb and Steven, got engaged on my carriage about six months ago and after all the oohing and ahhing, I mentioned that I was thinking about getting ordained to perform marriages. Well, they called me and asked me to officiate at their wedding at the end of October, so I became ordained and am now a Spiritual Minister. (I've been walking around laying my hands on the shoulders of my friends and telling them they have had the laying on of hands. Come to think of it, most of them probably have no idea what I'm talking about because that is a bit of a Catholic thing, if I'm not mistaken. It's been a while).Anyway, I  offered for us to trailer a horse and carriage out to the county where they lived for the wedding and they were excited. So, we brought Bonnie, one of only two Clydesdales downtown and who I drove for four and a half years and a big, ole Cinderella carriage and headed out of the city. It was a welcome change from the regular attempted solicitation of rides all night. The wedding got started about thirty minutes late but it was so beautiful out in Tipton county; the Mississippi River was about a mile away and in between was what I think is called a flood plain. It was behind the house and, in fact, in front of which I stood to marry these lovebirds, and from where we were, it was a humongous bluff. Looking out, you saw the tops of the very tall trees and beyond that was the bird's eye view of an October patchwork of countryside; fields and fields of varying colors as far as the river. It was stunning, though windy and as the sun went down, colder. The bride had told me she was wearing a strapless dress so I debating taking my overcoat off, which was the only thing keeping me from shivering.The plan was a short carriage ride up to the sunset wedding site with all the bridesmaids and the bride. I figured I would wear the coat till I got to the sit and take it off while doing the ceremony. I didn't want to look all bulked up and wintery when the bride is standing there in a light dress. However, my trailer reservation partner, Tim, said,"Y'now, sometimes you have to look out for number one." I agreed and left my coat on, covering up the outfit I had spent time putting together but I was so glad I did because it only got colder as the sun went down and I still shivered a little during the ceremony. It was so beautiful to be standing so close to the two people that all the other people had so willingly and happily come from far and wide to be witnesses to the beginning of their marriage. I am a big fan of marriage (though a child of divorce after 24 years)- I  am a very happily married woman!  When I was younger, it seemed like not very many people in this country were religious. That has changed these days and I am glad it has because it offers me the opportunity to be involved in weddings without being a planner. But I still get to be involved in it and I loved it. I was surprised how moved I was by the excitement and I was right in the thick of it, so it was total fun. Wished them a happy, healthy, long marriage and we loaded Bonnie back up and set off for Downtown. Can't wait for the next one, I hope it's soon! Until later, stay well. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know the title of this blog didn't really go with the content, but in the interest of general stress relief, I am engaging in meditation and yoga ( and for health, inner peace, perhaps a little enlightnment :)and am becoming friends with the "isness" of the now. It is the only place where I can feel the love the Universe has for me is when I am in a state of Just Being. Ahhhhhh...peace.